Friday, August 08, 2008

I KNOW why I am not a plumber!!!!!!!

I have not posted for a while for a number of reasons, mostly because half the time my Internet connection is either down or slower than "dial-up" (I hate my Internet provider). Anyway, beyond that issue, I have been too busy so I just have not been online much.

Earlier today, I was going to take my mother to the post office and some other stores she needed to stop at, no biggie. Then she asked "while you are here, could you look at my bathroom faucet? The cold water knob won't come on". "Sure, mom, No Problem". UGH, I figure I can put in a new water valve (an easy fix, right?) NOT. The valve is frozen, so I try to turn off the shut off valve so I can remove it.

That is when the fun began, the water shut off is also frozen. OK, SCREW IT. "Mom, where is your main water shut off? She doesn't have a clue. I find the main and turn off the water to her house, then I get the big pliers out to shut off the valve under the sink. SNAP, the effing valve breaks, OH SHIT!!!!! I explain that I need to replace both valves AND the faucet......off to the home center for parts.....

Now, with parts in hand I rip the whole thing apart and install new parts, BUT the sink is "kinda rusty", I put it back together but I just know this piece of SHIT is going to leak....sure enough it did. "Mom, your sink is rusted out and I can't fix it tonight, I will try to find you a new one, but it is late and I cannot fix it tonight".

Off I go to Home Depot for a new sink. I find one, buy it and tomorrow I will rip it all back apart, tear the rusty, leaky sink out and start over. She will have a nifty new sink, new faucet, new braided supply lines, new shut off valves, basically the whole mess will be brand new.

It will be fixed correctly BUT now I KNOW WHY I am not a plumber!!!!

Happy Trails,


Ron

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good son.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron!

Welcome back. Been awhile, eh?

Understand how living life can interfere with keeping up the blog. (Although I did wonder if your frequent dissident commenter had put you off of it.)

I opened up the comment form to see Annie's comment and she says I should tell you you're lucky that you only have to drive across town to be the handyman for your mom. I have about a 12 hour drive through the mountains to get to my Mom's place. Every time we speak on the phone she asks, "So when are you coming to visit?"

As for the handyman stuff...the problem is always more deep seated than it appears on the surface. It won't be fixed right 'til you find the root cause or, as you found, go pretty much all the way back to the start.

Good luck with finishing the repairs.

Rob

Stella said...

I think you did a great job! Much better than most guys, at least you had the guts to tackle it.

Elfie33 said...

I wrote on my blog the other day the adventures about calling a plumber. LOL