Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Spring of my widowhood

On the eve of spring, I have been thinking about the seasons and grief. I have always loved spring and fall. Summer is fine but the humidity here can be brutal. I never much liked winter because I hate cold weather.

As the seasons relate to my grief, I think I am finally beginning to feel like it is spring in my life. A time when things begin to grow. Flowers bloom, the grass greens up, the trees blossom and regain their leaves. It is a time of renewal. After 3 ½ years being a widower and I am finally feeling some renewal in my life. I feel alive once again. I met Carol in the spring of the year and although I miss her now as spring approaches, my heart is not heavy with grief as it once was.

This fall, Carol will have been gone for four years. I hope this fall at four years that I can remember her with a smile and the sadness of losing her will not cloud the beauty that fall brings and that she so dearly loved.

No comments: