Saturday, January 12, 2008

Memories

Today I was reflecting on different periods of my life. I was trying to recall the first memories as a child and at what age. Most of those memories really began at about age five. Mostly, I recalled the really good and the really bad, but I remember.

Fast forward to 1968 (age 8) to 1972 (age 12), my father was transferred to Redlands, CA. If memory serves me that was grades 4 through 8. In late 1972 we moved again, this time to Wichita, KS. I loved my school(s), friends, and the weather. I hated Wichita, the school sucked, the weather sucked, but I adapted.

I digress, back to those wonder years in southern California. I hated leaving there, I wrote to my best friends for years but that faded away as time moved on. I always wanted to visit someday.

This past summer, I had the good fortune to be close enough to do just that. It was an odd encounter with my past. I stopped at the house I had lived in; I walked the street recalling things I had done there over 30 years ago. I drove to the elementary school and then the Junior High I attended. It was surreal, and in many ways still is. I took lots of photos.

Just a snapshot of my life but still I remember. I will continue to move through periods of my life and just remember.

Feel free to share your memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, thank for sharing it. I lost my husband in Nov 07. I really do think that the blogging has kept me somewhat sane during this rotten time. Keep up the good work, and keep your chin up!
~~Laura

Blue Eyes Crying said...

Hi Laura,
yeah it is awful, glad you found me. I am here anytime you need to talk, Widowehood is awful, male or female, regardless of the how or why. I would like to add you to my list of widow friends but only if you would like to be added, let me know and I will add you, and feel free to add me to your list.

Ron