Sunday, January 13, 2008

My good friend Cecil died last night.

My good friend Cecil, the President of my flying club died last night. Cecil was an older gentleman and his large intestines burst and he was rushed to surgery late Friday night. Following the surgery, his organs started shutting down and he passed away around 9:30 last night.

One funny story about Cecil, last fall I had a friend passing through St. Louis and I took my friend and children to our field. The older child was hooked. I convinced my friend Matt to give him lessons, so Matt fired up his plane and out they go to the pilot’s box. I took the younger guy out to the picnic table behind the pilot’s box so he could watch his big brother. Meanwhile, my friend is taping the action with a camera. I might add that the older boy did very well flying Matt’s plane and I think they flew twice.

Keep in mind our club has some rules for safety reasons. Anyway, once the fun was over, we departed and the chatter about all the fun began.

A few days later I show up at the field and Cecil wants to chat. Let me rephrase that, he wanted to chew my ass. He asked why I had violated the safety protocols a few days before. I explained (between ass chewings) and he finally understood that we really had done nothing wrong and let it go. He was a feisty old guy, loved by all.

Cecil, I will miss you my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with Don (his son) and Danny (his Grandson) and all his family that I never met.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how much you enjoy your flying and assumed you enjoyed the folks you met there, too.

My thoughts are with you.

Alicia said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Bummer. Death sucks.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.