Monday, December 31, 2007

Really thought I was going to die

I woke up in the wee hours with excruciating pain in my left lung area, I had been coughing for hours. I couldn't breathe, it was like a knife with every breath. Finally, after gasping for air and writhing in pain not sure I would even see the sun rise, I drove myself to the Emergency Room.

The nurse must have seen that I was in trouble and I was rushed to a room and put on oxygen. The nurse said my lips were slightly blue. They slapped an IV in my wrist and someone was drawing blood, lots of blood. someone came and took x-rays. They put two kinds of medications directly into the IV and within minutes I could breathe, I could actually breathe again.

So in addition to having pneumonia, I had Pleurisy which is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs that causes pain when you take a breath or cough . Countless hours and two shots in the ass later and feeling much better, they finally released me.

The stabbing pains have been reduced to slight discomfort when I do cough. I really did think I was going to die

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you're ok.

Pamela said...

Ugh Pleurisy. I came down with it 2 years ago and I would rather give birth 10 times straight then to go through that pain again.

It helps to put a pillow over the painful area when you need to cough, hold it tight against your chest to help support it.

Make sure that you DO cough. The tendency with pleurisy is to avoid coughing because of the pain, but with pneumonia, or even bronchitis, that is the worst thing you could do.

Good luck Ron, and take care of yourself.

Pam