Friday, December 21, 2007

Things that I am proud of

I am still working on the questionnaire from the new therapist. One section deals with things I have done that "made me proud/feel good".

It made me feel good when I completed this section because I really am a giving person, some examples are:

*I look after my elderly mother, even when she is being a major pain in the ass.
*I have spent countless hours helping friends "fix" broken things, never thought it was a big deal but apparently it is a good thing.
*I recently had a friend in need of help and I dropped what I was doing and spent a week helping my friend that was overwhelmed with the task(s) that needed doing.

I never really gave much thought to what I give, but it is a part of who I am. Maybe the therapist is trying to make me feel good, but in reality, I really do feel good helping others. Not a brag, but reviewing the good things I have done for others, it does make me feel good.

This is just one aspect of the assessment, there are parts that I am not so proud of, but overall I am feeling better about "who" I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good man. I wish I was near to share.

Barb

Rob said...

Ron,

It's a part of one's character. One "does" things for others, never giving it a second thought or attaching importance or significance to it. I'm kind of like that too, although it had to be pointed out to me on occasion. It could probably be said that it's a part of one's fundamental "goodness".

I read your board thread about the situation with your son, DIL and grand-baby. Others only have the power over us that we let them have. Don't penalize your grandchild just to spite your DIL (or your son). Think about what's really important. One of the many things I learned being widowed was that it is the people in my life that are most important.

What if, perish the thought, something unforeseen happened? And your relationship with them ended on a negative note? I urge you, Ron, don't let that happen.

Granted, I do not know any of the background or basis for this, and I'm talking rather simplistically. I just wouldn't want to see you have regrets for any reason.

In the end, you will do what you think is best, I'm sure.

Merry Christmas Ron. It's good to see you making forward progress and I hope you keep it up.